BF4 Beta - Impressions - Better Battlelog Forums #108725

Sitemap
Topicstarter
So, i just want to list my impressions of the BF4 Beta after 2 hours playing.

Plus
* Actually it feels like a mix of bf3 and bfbc2
* I like the new vehicle load mechanism
* It works for me on a GTX 580 on ultra settings with 1920x1080, with some random frame drops (beta issue)
* All new spectating things (team members on deploy, the commander map, etc...) are amazing

Minus
* I don't like some visual effects like orange models to see from which enemy you have been killed
* At first, a weird interface ingame - After some time it's more clear but for the first time i thought WTF
* Battlelog Layout - All is really big, too big in my opinion, also it looks all similar, no colors

Just some of many points.
In general, i really like BF4 already.
"Temporal Review"

I haven't be able to play since the release, my game just stop doing anything after the loading screen is supposed to be totally loaded.

In general, i have no idea how is the game
Post edited 1 x times, last by
A very big massive plus is that the Levolution stuff isn't scripted like the tower in Caspian Border is. You can 'active' the Levolution yourself by doing some things in the map. :-)
Topicstarter
Meaurk wrote:
A very big massive plus is that the Levolution stuff isn't scripted like the tower in Caspian Border is. You can 'active' the Levolution yourself by doing some things in the map. :-)

IMHO it's still scripted :) Real levolution would be when the tower collapse and everytime the map looks a bit different because no tower collapse is identical two times (paradox because one tower couldn't collapse two times in real life :)
So far I love the new movements, they seem better than BF3 especially when sprinting or jumping. The vaulting seems worse though.
The level of destruction is disappointing, yes you can bring down the skyscraper but that's it, Seine or Bazaar had more destruction in all honesty.
The vehicles seem underpowered against the infantry, especially now with limited ammo, also tank vs tank battles are weird for some reasons. The attack helis destroy vehicles very easily. The attack boat is the only good vehicle (probably a little OP).
Battlelog is better themed than it was for BF3 but everything is so big and a lot of stuff is missing.
The gunplay is better because of the the less suppression amount, but currently the weapons don't seem to have much recoil.
The spawn interface is a little bit better but I really miss the spawn menu like it was in BC2 (you could select the spawn point on the map but also on the menu), also I hate the fact that customization is completely on a different page, you can't even select the weapons or gadgets like you could in BF3/BC2.
At the end of the day I don't think it's very different from BF3, at least so far.
Ladies, Gentlemans and Cookie lovers, let me introduce you
The Exclusive Loading Screen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZwNZyYrIo

(A lot of people and myself have this problem since day 1... still no fix)
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/es/forum/threadview/2955064762670505732/1/
Topicstarter
People with loading screen issues: Test a manual punkbuster update. For me it solved the problem.
Might fit in here:
In my opinion the best weapon available is the AK5C (Carbine, for every class <3)
Fast, easy (only upwards, not right, not left) recoil and yeah...

And I don't get the difference between M9 and P226... I'll just stich with M9 as it looks cooler because no one is using it. Yay.
kurtextrem wrote:
Might fit in here:
In my opinion the best weapon available is the AK5C (Carbine, for every class <3)
Fast, easy (only upwards, not right, not left) recoil and yeah...

And I don't get the difference between M9 and P226... I'll just stich with M9 as it looks cooler because no one is using it. Yay.

M9 has worse stats? Maybe compenzation for a bigger mag?
No, I think it's the same... And Ingame it looked like the M9 is not completely worse than the P226 in stats, but Symthic and Battlelog show something different
(Symthic: Even, Battlelog: M9 weaker, Ingame: Advantages / Disadvantages) wat ..
BrainFooLong wrote:
People with loading screen issues: Test a manual punkbuster update. For me it solved the problem.

As far as i know that fix worked for people who could play at least once and suddenly got problems, for people who hasn't seen a single pixel from the game it doesn't work, i've tried everything at the moment.
Post edited 6 x times, last by
A few impressions after playing the game for a few days. I might forgot some points, but well, it's 3:30 am.

I really, really love the game so far. In my opinion BF4 is already better than BF3 ever was.

Plus

+ Getting objective points (capturing, defending) per second, not one big bonus at the end (You actually get rewarded for going for objectives, even if you die in the last second you still get points.)
+ Squad work has improved (Last up warning message, points for executing squad leader orders, points for squad members executing your orders, etc)
+ Scope glare on sniper rifles was reduced a little
+ Sniper rifle rounds do leave a "trace" (imo a better indicator than the bright glowing scope glare)
+ Recon class up-voted big time with C4
+ Joining a battlelog friend is amazing (getting in the same team, even in the same squad)!
+ Improved weapon configuration (4 accessories instead 3)
+ Parachute mechanics improved (opens faster)
+ Vehicle load mechanics (prevents spamming, requires smarter play, more accurate shooting)
+ The game "feels good"
+ Fixed suppression!!
+ Spawning with double click in spawn menu
+ Communication between Battlelog, Game, Tablets, Mobile Phones, etc
+ It seems that invulnerability and warping while in jumping animation has been fixed

Minus

- Camping (roof, elevator) is getting rewarded way too much. A lot of people don't play the objective.
- Reload times in the attack helicopter (you are constantly reloading, especially if you are gunning)
- Rocket pod damage against infantry in the attack helicopter is too low in my opinion
- Heat seeker damage against other air vehicles is too low
- Auto repair is too fast
- Revive time too short imo
- Reviving more difficult (I know, "revive train protection", but still feels really odd.)
- Transport helicopter/tank machine-guns are too weak against infantry
- Tank main canon damage against infantry too low, "weird" against vehicles
- No indicator/warn signal when getting heavily damaged in tank
- Not enough differentiation in helicopter between Lock-on signal/warn signal after weapon fired
- Getting shot feels weird, most of the time like a one-shot
- For some reason map loading does take ages
- Head-glitching still kinda exist
- Battlelog notification sound as soon as a battlelog friends joins any server. Really annoying and I didn't found a Off switch by now.
Added 04.10.2013 4:39pm

- Spawn Protection!! Big big minus. Battlefield does not need this casual bullshit.
Added 04.10.2013 7:13pm

- MBT gunner proximity scan does not work
Added 06.10.2013 1:49am

Miscellaneous

± RPG and Lock-on. I know nothing about RL weapons, maybe a RPG is able to use laser designation but it feels strange (I know, it worked like that in BC2 but still). Maybe a place holder for Javelin? Please enlighten me. :-P
± Siege of Shanghai Dom map is really nice, but rewards camping too much
± My brain is empty right now
± Non existing team work (like in BF3, no surprise), not really game fault, but mechanics might help

I don't have access to the full, released game so I do rate the not final Beta version.

Lists unsorted
nice list! yeah I think the same about the rpg, although it's really easy to 1hit helis now without "aiming". I don't think a simple RPG can do this in rl.
another - is the whole performance but I'm sure it will be better in release.
And the after revive screen should be changed back to bf3, pressing space is really better...
I really hope this is just a Beta issue, but on my Desktop PC I'm gettin around 30 fps, which is barely playble for me and on my fking $800 laptop on the same settings it's 60 fps... This is driving me mad.
kurtextrem wrote:
nice list! yeah I think the same about the rpg, although it's really easy to 1hit helis now without "aiming". I don't think a simple RPG can do this in rl.
another - is the whole performance but I'm sure it will be better in release.
And the after revive screen should be changed back to bf3, pressing space is really better...

Haha, yeah, the revive mechanic. I am left-handed, I have a left-hander mouse so i have to press the left mouse button (instead the right button) to accept revive, which is fire weapons at the same time.

juress wrote:
I really hope this is just a Beta issue, but on my Desktop PC I'm gettin around 30 fps, which is barely playble for me and on my fking $800 laptop on the same settings it's 60 fps... This is driving me mad.

Try ambient occlusion off. What graphic settings are you running?
Brady_The wrote:

juress wrote:

Try ambient occlusion off. What graphic settings are you running?

All low. Everything off.
Try switching to borderless or windowed mode. It helped me.
I do have the feeling that my game crashes relatively often after getting revived. Anyone else noticed this? Or is it just me?
Brady_The wrote:

Miscellaneous

± RPG and Lock-on. I know nothing about RL weapons, maybe a RPG is able to use laser designation but it feels strange (I know, it worked like that in BC2 but still). Maybe a place holder for Javelin? Please enlighten me. :-P

I think it's a bug. TOW launcher do the same thing, just wait for lock, shoot "to up" and get out.
Nano wrote:
Brady_The wrote:

Miscellaneous

I think it's a bug. TOW launcher do the same thing, just wait for lock, shoot "to up" and get out.

Yeah, that's possible. I totally forgot to mention Spawn Protection on the minus side in my list, this is so casual.
I totally agree with Brady!
But my god you're a no-lifer, made a summary list at 3:30 AM on working days.
Meaurk wrote:
I totally agree with Brady!
But my god you're a no-lifer, made a summary list at 3:30 AM on working days.

Maybe I am wealthy, maybe I do have holidays, maybe I do have vacation, maybe I am jobless, maybe I am a student, maybe I am a homeworker; endless opportunities.
:-P ;-)
No, you're just a no-lifer. :$

I just noticed something on the PP-2000:
Naamloos.png
It's your emblem.. and it should be on every weapon and vehicle :)
kurtextrem wrote:
It's your emblem.. and it should be on every weapon and vehicle :)

That's correct.
I know it's my emblem, I only didn't knew that it was on your weapons/vehicles. :-)
Post edited 2 x times, last by
Is it possible that no Conquest server are available (note Conquest, not Conquest Large)? I would like to unlock some stuff for Scout Helicopters, but I don't find any server anymore.

Edit: Okay, Advanced -> Uncheck Europe reveals a German (totally not European) server.
Brady_The wrote:
Edit: Okay, Advanced -> Uncheck Europe reveals a German (totally not European) server.

The server isn't located in Germany, I think it's one of the many bugs in Battlelog. The server is located in Antarctica and as far as I know that isn't Europe, haha.
Meaurk wrote:
Brady_The wrote:

The server isn't located in Germany, I think it's one of the many bugs in Battlelog. The server is located in Antarctica and as far as I know that isn't Europe, haha.

Hm, yeah, you are right. You can't trust anything anymore.
Topicstarter
Obliteration Mode - I really like this mode. It's pretty much the same as CTF but in BF4 this mode feels cool.
Especially in combination with fixed parachute dropzones and all vehicles (incl. air) it create a very dynamic gameplay on the current beta map. It could take up to hours to finish a round if both teams are play good.
and why they didn't call it "capture the flag"? wtf is "obliteration"?
where are the differenes?s
Topicstarter
ORFK wrote:
and why they didn't call it "capture the flag"? wtf is "obliteration"?
where are the differenes?s

Why the flame? Reminds me to the battlelog forums :)
read my text. it was a question, not flame.
again: i asked, what makes it so different, that they call it obliteration and not ctf any more?!
is it the same gamemode and they just wanted to have a "cooler" name or have they changed some general gameplay fucntions? you played it, i didn't you could tell me what you think, and thats for i asked.
It's not the same as CTF, it has one bomb which spawn kinda randomly and 3 bomb sites per faction. It is more like a mix of different game modes, like rush and conquest.
ahhh thank you! thats what i wanted to know. was it so difficult brain?
Topicstarter
ORFK wrote:
ahhh thank you! thats what i wanted to know. was it so difficult brain?

Cookie for you! I thought i don't need to explain a feature that is already explained everwhere else, i'm wrong, i'm an idiot, excuse me sir, back to topic.
They released a new patch a few hours ago. I wonder if things are better now.
BrainFooLong wrote:
Cookie for you! I thought i don't need to explain a feature that is already explained everwhere else, i'm wrong, i'm an idiot, excuse me sir, back to topic.

Brain is right, this gamemode was announced at GamesCom, the whole event was dedicated to it.

kurtextrem wrote:
They released a new patch a few hours ago. I wonder if things are better now.

Yes they realeased a new patch, here's the changelog:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065214565960777/

Updates in Beta Patch #2 for PC (Oct 10)

-Two fixes for the long/permanent loading times
-Various improvements in performance for users running quad core or six core CPU's
-Fixed a crash that happened for some dual core CPU users after loading
-Fixed a crash relating to DirectX10 graphics cards
-Various stability fixes
-Various crash fixes

It fixes the FPS drops, some friends of mine report better FPS too. CPU usage is still high, so playing at lower resolutions is worse than playing at 1080p.
Dendari wrote:
BrainFooLong wrote:

Brain is right, this gamemode was announced at GamesCom, the whole event was dedicated to it.

and still there are people on the world they dont have the time, to follow the gamescom, f.e. me because i have to work and want to spend my free time for other things, f.e. family and friends.
Performance is way better now since the patch
Good to hear. I was kind of tired of running on completely low graphics. On conquest everything looked like clay.
We of course all do know that this Beta isnt't the current state of the game, right? It is almost three months old, same as BF3 at its Beta time. So a lot will change and will be better in two weeks. :-)
Day 11

I don't feel good playing this loading screen simulator 2013

wasakakero wrote:
Day 11

I don't feel good playing this loading screen simulator 2013

I'm still stuck with BF4 eating up my CPU. I understand that it's a Beta, but really... The CPU and loading problems are the top two problems that A LOT of players are having.

These bugs should have been fixed days ago.
Meaurk wrote:
We of course all do know that this Beta isnt't the current state of the game, right? It is almost three months old, same as BF3 at its Beta time. So a lot will change and will be better in two weeks. :-)

actually no. A developer said on reddit the beta was from the same week but different code branch.
Post edited 3 x times, last by
The second Beta patch didn't necessarily gave me more FPS, but the game has a better performance in my opinion, less stuttering and less random frame drops.

Usual Brady rant against brain-dead BF players
I do miss the replacement from players with bots though, to make the game more fun.
Since after the second patch came out, I've been able to play without my CPU going to 100%, so yay for me.

After only two rounds, I've noticed something that I think is really sad and is making the game really boring.
The amount of roof camping going on is mind blowing, first we've got the Recon players, camping with their snipers and hiding away at the first sight of trouble (which makes them really hard to kill without playing Recon or using a helicopter).
But then we've got the occasional Support player with the XM25 AIRBURST shooting the grenades which sucks to say the least.

That's my big complaint. I'm also wondering if it's just me that sucks, or if cheats/hacks are already around for the Beta. I've found myself being killed by just one shot with handguns and a sniper rifles at close range on numerous occasions.
Topicstarter
Report after 13h of gameplay:

I like it. A solid game which makes fun. I don't try to compare it with BF3 or any other BF, i just play the game.
I like how the game feels like, includes all aspects that somebody maybe don't like.
I guess it's actually good balanced, why i think that? Doesn't matter on which side you are or which random team you have, most of the time it's a equal game for both teams, in Conquest or Obliteration.

I've played just one Obliteration round in 1h+ because both teams are having a chance, doesn't matter of roof campers or anything else.

I also think weapons are good balanced because i can play with every weapon, nothing feels to overpowered for me. I be also no fan of weapon patches because it doesn't matter, every player have to deal with the same parameters. If the map is good designed than the whole gameplay feels fine and well balanced.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: Having no stability issues here, sometimes lags and frame drops but it's beta, i expect that.
I completely agree with Brain.
Since the last patch i can finally play, it runs like crap as expected for my rig, but the obliteration mode (aka mobile de_shangai with respawns) it's fun which is the most important thing, unfortunately i'll be traveling tomorrow, FML.
It's completely unplayable for me now, the netcode is complete crap. So many instant kills and bullet not registered.
I really didn't knew how to use the damn XM25 Airburst thingie. I've got kills with it, but they were all lucky shots.. Until I saw the video below, it now makes sense! Goodbye snipers. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aII-uCZoxSQ
Topicstarter
Meaurk wrote:
I really didn't knew how to use the damn XM25 Airburst thingie

Lol, how cool is that. Didn't knew that before.
Meaurk wrote:
I really didn't knew how to use the damn XM25 Airburst thingie. I've got kills with it, but they were all lucky shots.. Until I saw the video below, it now makes sense! Goodbye snipers. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aII-uCZoxSQ

I wondered what was so air-burst about it, and that would probably explain why it would never reach its target for me.