Breaking Change - Chrome - Better Battlelog Forums #110890

Sitemap
Post edited 2 x times, last by
Topicstarter
Hi all!

After the really, really, extremly stupid step from Google to disable all extensions in chrome that not coming from the webstore, in Jan. 2014, i really must move BBLog to the chrome webstore. I'm very disappointed to get forced to do that by google, but it seems there is no workaround for that.
Follow the discussion here:
http://getbblog.com/board/post/110782

Well, thx to some donaters and some other fanboys i now have a google developer account (5$ i had to pay for, and i really hate google even more right now) and BBLog is now available in the webstore.
Both release and dev channel. Just head to the installation page
http://getbblog.com/install
and click on the download BBLog button for chrome to get to the webstore page for BBLog.

All of you, that uses BBLog for chrome, need to install BBLog again from the webstore and delete the "old", non webstore, version of BBLog. Otherwise BBLog will be automatically removed from your chrome browser on begin of 2014. And than there is no way to save your BBLog settings.

Please spread the information to friends and the whole web to make sure that all Chrome BBLog User get not lost in 2014.

Create a massive shitstorm on google's forums and pages for this stupid decision, google controls almost everything in the web and no user can do anything against it.

Greetz
BrainFooLong, the pissed off Admin from BBLog!
I have a question.
Do I have to install
it over the webstore?
And when I would do it, first I must export my settings and import them after installing it from the App-Store, am I right?
Topicstarter
I_like_Chocolate wrote:
Do I have to install
it over the webstore?

BrainFooLong wrote:
All of you, that uses BBLog for chrome, need to install BBLog again from the webstore and delete the "old", non webstore, version of BBLog. Otherwise BBLog will be automatically removed from your chrome browser on begin of 2014. And than there is no way to save your BBLog settings.

This means yes.

I_like_Chocolate wrote:
And when I would do it, first I must export my settings and import them after installing it from the App-Store, am I right?

Right.
Normal version installs correctly and works fine, developers version won't install. See attached image for the error pop-up.

dev channel.png
Topicstarter
Meaurk wrote:
Normal version installs correctly and works fine, developers version won't install. See attached image for the error pop-up.

dev channel.png

Hm cannot confirm that. Tried it with re-install, works like a charm.
Dev version installs fine for me.
Post edited 1 x times, last by
dapil wrote:

Did you installed the dev version just now (as in "when you posted your comment")?

When I click the link I just get this: "
Item not found. This item may have been removed by its author.
" (I tried it the first time around ~7:30pm UTC+1).
Brady_The wrote:
dapil wrote:

Did you installed the dev version just now (as in "when you posted your comment")?

When I click the link I just get this: "
Item not found. This item may have been removed by its author.
" (I tried it first around ~7:30pm UTC+1).

Same here..
No, I installed it the day it became available. Now I get the error too (the "Item not found. This item may have been removed by its author." one)
Topicstarter
And the problems begin. Just tried to update it to 3.8.0.1, since that it's broken in the store. "Pending" says since 1 day, I HATE YOU google.
Topicstarter
Ok, it seems like that many user have this problem.
Google's verification process does take up to months for some people.

What that means?

BBLog update will be delayed for months on chrome.
Say thank you to google.
You said months? just for one update to come out? what's wrong with these people?
Topicstarter
wasakakero wrote:
You said months? just for one update to come out? what's wrong with these people?

Months are not normal but it happens. Even weeks are horrible (normal case) - It's the same with firefox extensions.

In any case a massive backstep from the current zero latency updates via our own update service.
Topicstarter
Anyway, can all of you that had problems with the dev version please test it again? Should work now as expected.
It's OK now.
Dev version works fine for me.
For whatever reason with the version downloaded from the Chrome store and the previous version I can no longer see any extended stats for the weapons from Symthic. When i first installed 3.8.0 it worked perfectly.

I have checked options and all boxes are ticked, tried with the old version and it is the same.

I go to Stats, Weapons, highlight a weapon and there is no option to select extended stats anymore.

Any help appreciated as it was a feature I really liked to use.

Cheers Q
Topicstarter
3.8.0 currently have a bug, battlelog has changed something in the past days.
Tomorrow will come 3.8.1 that fixes this.
Battlelog or BBlog bug ?

After i use popup options (like emblem code loading) my screen darken and i can't press any buttons.

http://gyazo.com/e275f246da073918919e688a71b259fd.png

To fix this and save emblem or serverbrowser filtres i need to delete this element

http://gyazo.com/2fee42fd8d23c0fe0cb57ab946af2f5b.png
Topicstarter
ThePredatoR wrote:
Battlelog or BBlog bug ?

After i use popup options (like emblem code loading) my screen darken and i can't press any buttons.

http://gyazo.com/e275f246da073918919e688a71b259fd.png

To fix this and save emblem or serverbrowser filtres i need to delete this element

http://gyazo.com/2fee42fd8d23c0fe0cb57ab946af2f5b.png

Please do not report bugs here, this is not the correct thread for that. Here we talk about chrome webstore thingy.
Anyway, will also be fixed in 3.8.1
BrainFooLong wrote:

Please do not report bugs here, this is not the correct thread for that. Here we talk about chrome webstore thingy.

I'm sorry but this bug is only on chrome store version.
Topicstarter
ThePredatoR wrote:
BrainFooLong wrote:

I'm sorry but this bug is only on chrome store version.

Ok, anyway, than it should have a new topic in the bug forums. For the next time.
With 3.8.1 should everything work fine again.
Is that normal?

Picture:
what..PNG

I already re installed it
Topicstarter
Yes, this is normal and you just need to click the "Ok, hide this message forever" button.
Than it's gone.
okay thank you brain :)
I don't get why this is a bad thing? Google made the browser after all. It's not like their store sucks either, it is really good in fact. You do realize that you will most likely reach out to more users by having it there? You also get automatic updates which is awesome.

Trust me: any user that doesn't go and download bblog after their addon have been disabled in January, doesn't care about bblog anyway (obviously).

Great addon btw!
Topicstarter
toxicious wrote:
You also get automatic updates which is awesome

It was also so as always with the non-webstore version.
Fact is, in developers point of view, the webstore sucks because of restrictions, costs and less flexibility.
toxicious wrote:
I don't get why this is a bad thing? Google made the browser after all. It's not like their store sucks either, it is really good in fact. You do realize that you will most likely reach out to more users by having it there? You also get automatic updates which is awesome.

Trust me: any user that doesn't go and download bblog after their addon have been disabled in January, doesn't care about bblog anyway (obviously).

Great addon btw!

A well designed plugin (like bblog) can do the automatic updates on its own (and does!) independent of the browser's own functions for it. It can also do that more promptly at the developer's discretion than the store allows, which really is the bigger issue at hand here, particularly when Battlelog itself is a moving target that BBLog has to keep up with (take my slightly broken Loadout Sets plugin as a prime example of that from just this morning).

As for more users, quite possibly so, but the change does break current users, many of which don't necessarily hit the site here with any frequency, so this is a pretty big issue.
Post edited 1 x times, last by
In fact, without the ability to push updates whenever the DEV wants, you can expect a broken BBLog for weeks in every Battlelog Update until Google decides to push out the update.
wasakakero wrote:
In fact, without the ability to push updates whenever the DEV wants, you can expect a broken BBLog for weeks in every Battlelog Update until Google decides to push out the update.

Which is, I worry, going to force me to have FF around just to run BF4.
Hey, have you heard about Tampermonkey? I think that's the way Chrome is going.
Tallmios wrote:
Hey, have you heard about Tampermonkey? I think that's the way Chrome is going.

Not really, nothing official from Google. Also, BBLog is a native extension, not a userscript.