Microsoft Spartan Tests - WebKit under the hood, particular? - Better Battlelog Forums #137217

Sitemap
Post edited 5 x times, last by
Topicstarter
Well, since the W10 technical build came out with the "whole new" browser spartan i've done some basic tests with this browser.

Here are my simple test results and it seems like that they decided to use the WebKit Rendering Engine or parts of it, or they just support some webkit specials.... Don't know but see yourself.

What that mean? WebKit is used by chrome, safari and opera and that's a pretty big change in microsoft history i guess. It also helps me a lot to get bblog working on the new spartan browser.

Test 1 - Who am i?

Spartan and also IE11 on Windows 10 identify as Chrome 39 - WTF?
http://i.imgur.com/vvRfC1o.png

Test 2 - CSS webkit specials

Spartan and also IE11 on W10 support the webkit special css conditions
This does NOT work on W8.1 IE 11
http://i.imgur.com/shgT2Xc.png

Test 3 - JS webkit specials

Spartan and also IE11 on W10 do NOT support webkit special
http://i.imgur.com/shgT2Xc.png

Test 4 - Developer Tools

They are mostly identical to IE11 on Windows 8.1. It's slow, have a horrible userbility and also have not a half of the features of a Chrome/Firefox developer tool.

Test 5 - General Site usage

Spartan and IE11 in W10 currently doesn't really work. They are slow, buggy and most sites are not usable. In my tests i tried several pages and for example on imgur.com i cannot upload any image. On jsfiddle i cannot edit html or run tests.

All in all, this "new" browser do something new but it's buggy in all edges and it seems that not all can be fixed/optimized until the launch of W10. I was excited about the announcement of a whole new browser, but now i'm grounded.
It's not a real new browser, it's basically IE with a new name and some new features.

All of this is my own opinion and maybe i'm wrong with this.

Greetz Roland
This is only alpha version, and I think it will able to get a new core. Developers still have a lot of work, and I hope that we have now will be a great browser.
Post edited 1 x times, last by
Wow really

And now Battlelog plugin is not working
Topicstarter
DaniluK4000 wrote:
This is only alpha version, and I think it will able to get a new core. Developers still have a lot of work, and I hope that we have now will be a great browser.

I didn't point that out extra because it's clear that all is in "alpha" or "beta" in a technical preview.
BrainFooLong wrote:
DaniluK4000 wrote:

I didn't point that out extra because it's clear that all is in "alpha" or "beta" in a technical preview.

It seems that it is really not final release, doesn't it? :)
Topicstarter
Well, the version number say it's a pre-release state but just let's say W10 starts in summer 2015 as they have announced it, than take a look at the current browser state, than take a look what is currently missing, buggy, not working, and than take a look at the remaining time that they have.

All in one this isn't really enough time to make a much better browser than it currently is.
Sure, there will be some polishing but i don't think it will be much better on start (or ever as we learned with IE).

Just my opinion.
Actually Spartan uses a forked Trident engine (highly forked).
They've changed many parts to be Blink / Webkit similar though and plan to support (chrome?) extensions (or at least similar to chrome extensions). They've even run a survey asking Chrome users what their favorite feature is.

They're
really
trying.
Topicstarter
Edit: Wrong forums :)