BBLOG Mobile App - Better Battlelog Forums #144801

Sitemap
Topicstarter
Hey guys,

this Thread is mostly for Developers.
A little bit about me:
I use BBLOG all the time and I really like the concept of extending the functionality of a product by third parties. I am currently working on RocketTools, which is a server administration platform for Battlefield (launching soon!) and I am going to develop a mobile app for it as well.

The Battlelog App for mobile phones is kinda bad. The reason for this is , that it's a hybrid app which simply doesn't perform good enough. It is a website essentially.

Since everything on Battlelog runs via JSON Endpoints, writing 3rd party software is actually not too hard.

So why not implement a mobile app based on ReactNative which has the openness of BBLOG?

This thread is simply a starting point for a discussion if it would actually be possible to manage something like this (from a technical and legal standpoint). The project would be OpenSource to be transparent on the authenticating handling, as users need to log in with their credentials and of course to be open to improvements.

The proposed tech-stack would be react-native, which has recently launched for Android (which is what I can develop). It allows to develop native applications in JavaScript and looks really promising (I have written an app in it already and it was tons of fun!).

I am currently very busy with other projects, but I might start this one when I have more time, as I would love to see a quality app for Battlelog.
Post edited 1 x times, last by
My opinions:
Technically i think that this is possible, practically i think that this project is waste of time, a lot of time.
All most be done from scratch, there is no "base" to improve.
Than you might get problems because some data is simply not possible to fetch with the JSON Apis.
Also for such a big project you need at first the permission from the involved Studios (EA, DICE, ESN) - Nothing is more frustrating when you've done something cool and than you don't get the permission to publish that.
Than, when they change the APIs you might have a lot of trouble.

All in all, in theory it's possible. But practically it is not doable.
Post edited 1 x times, last by
Topicstarter
Well, maybe if I get totally bored I will start with this... I will integrate parts of the Battlelog stats into the RocketTools app, if it gets used a lot I might port over more and more.

BTW: Is there a process to have a plugin bundled with BBLOG initially. I have some very useful data which I might publish via a BBLOG plugin.

BTW2: The forum notifies about own posts via E-Mail..Kinda unecessary? :)
ElectricCookie wrote:
BTW: Is there a process to have a plugin bundled with BBLOG initially. I have some very useful data which I might publish via a BBLOG plugin.

No, there are no bundled plugins enabled with bblog. You can upload a plugin to the plugin gallery, but every user must activate it for their own.

ElectricCookie wrote:
BTW2: The forum notifies about own posts via E-Mail..Kinda unecessary? :)

Well, kind of, better too much :) Well fix it soon
Post edited 2 x times, last by
Topicstarter
BrainFooLong wrote:
ElectricCookie wrote:

No, there are no bundled plugins enabled with bblog. You can upload a plugin to the plugin gallery, but every user must activate it for their own.

Thanks for the information. I will look into it for sure.. :)