Suggestions for a better experience - Better Battlelog Forums #45773

Sitemap
Post edited 2 x times, last by
Topicstarter
Hi there,

Dear Better Battlelog developers. First of all I wish to thank you for creating yet another awesome and much improved version of Better Battlelog. Congratulations.

Of course there are a few things that I want to say about the new system.

1. Placeholder instead of Value

There is a piece of code for when you add a plugin to the system. It goes as followed:
<input type="text" value="Example:
http://getbblog.com/plugins/example.js"
data-tooltip="Add your own Plugin URL. The Example File shows you how plugins basically work and how you can work with it. For more help, visit the getbblog homepage. Press Enter to save it to your list. It must be a correct URL"></input>

My suggestion is to change this to:
<input type="text" placeholder="Example:
http://getbblog.com/plugins/example.js"
data-tooltip="Add your own Plugin URL. The Example File shows you how plugins basically work and how you can work with it. For more help, visit the getbblog homepage. Press Enter to save it to your list. It must be a correct URL"></input>

This works with most browsers now and is a feature new in HTML5.

2. Add 'input type=text' to the options

Now there is only an option to create a checkbox or a button. Would it be possible to add a textbox as well and maybe radio buttons? This way, with the textbox, we can have users add their own, lets say, teamspeak server url and port. It allows developers to create more advanced plugins with user controlled input.

3. Collapsible menu/plugin options

A simple plus/minus option on every box inside the BBLog area will make it so people can minimize stuff they previously set and do not want to touch anytime soon. It clears up the space that people aren't using to make room for even more plugins.

4. Order of the plugins changes every now and then

When I refresh the BBLog plugin (hit F5) sometimes the order of the plugin boxes changes. If you add two plugins then they sometimes switch places which is a minor thing but I would love to see this fixed. Have fixed positions of the boxes so people know what to expect when they fold down the BBLog options menu.

5. Mixed checkboxes and buttons

This is the only thing that is really bothering me. The mixing of buttons (with a checkbox infront of it) and checkboxes. Could there be a way to structure the buttons on the top of the BBLog plugin like in the old version?

6. Option to turn off tipsy

The tipsy plugin is nice but once you are familiar with the features and what it does, the tipsy information becomes rather cluttered and pointless since people already know what it does. Could there be an option to turn off the tipsy additional information?

7. Grouping of options

Last but not least, I would like to see a more structured way to display options of a plugin by using option groups. For example. A single plugin has two groups of options with a title. When BBLog shows the user the options, it shows a option group title with the sub-options below it.

That was it, I've started coding some plugins to clear up Battlelog. I am also working on a rewrite of the TeamSpeak plugin posted here for version 2.x.

Keep up the good work!
Thx for feedback.
I'll see what is helpful and whats not.
With a "placeholder", we can not copy/paste the example url in a brower to see the example file
Topicstarter
True. But now, every time I want to add a plugin url, I need to remove the line first which gets annoying pretty fast. You can either decide to add the URL as text above or below the input box or use the suggested solution with the placeholder.
Topicstarter
BrainFooLong wrote:
Thx for feedback.
I'll see what is helpful and whats not.

My pleasure. Please note that it's constructive criticism ;-)
Post edited 1 x times, last by
My feedback

1. Maybe i'll change it to something different. Non Placeholder because you can't copy the link easily and not in the textfield (as it is now).

2. For that reason is the button available. You can do whatever you want with the button. Maybe one case of thousend need a simple textfield without anything behind. Mostly another action is required with the edited text. To respect all cases is too much work.With the button is all possible, Popup with extended options, etc...

3. That is a good idea. I'll think about it.

4. Here i can change nothing. It really depends on how fast the plugins are loaded. For example when the server from plugin A is busy than plugin B will be loaded faster. To sort it by name is also no solution because of the config key structure and the way how things displayed in the options panel. Too much work for this case also.

5. Sure the sorting and "grouping" of the options is not perfect at the moment. I'll also do something here.

6. I'm not agree with that. No option for hide tipsys.

7. Also not agree with that. Maybe i'll add some sort of "horizontal line/group seperator" to the bblog options (see 5), than also plugins can use this. Not sure at the moment.
Topicstarter
Perfect, I can live with that. Thank you for taking the time to look at my suggestions. I'm looking forward to future versions.