Open Letter to the Community from the BBLog Developer - Better Battlelog Forums #50114

Sitemap
Post edited 5 x times, last by
Topicstarter
Hi Community, i am Roland, Developer and Admin of Better Battlelog!

BBLog is nearly 1 year old and it has become a bigger thing that i ever had imagined.

Since Version 3.0.0 the Daily User Peak is over 4000 People Online, at the same time, with our BBLog Addon. This is 2x times more than before 3.0.0.

Better Battlelog requires a lot of interaction with the BBLog Server to work properly, for example the Image Upload for Platoons or the PDF Generator for Battlereports.

But i have one big problem. Server Capacity.
The BBLog Server can't handle so much requests anymore.

At the moment, i pay the server from my own pocket. Which is 360€ per Year.

A Server that can handle all required things yet and also in the near future costs 600€ per Year.

I definitely not will pay more money as i currently does from my own pocket.

So the thing that i want to point out with this thread is that i have now 3 options

1. Get a new server that can handle current requests (min. Requirements: Root Dedicated Server, Quad Core, 4GB Ram). I don't buy one.
---
2. Turn off Better Battlelog (what i don't will do)
----
3. Remove Better Battlelog Features that requires the Server (Platoon Images, PDF Generator, etc...) That's what i will do.

Advertisment like Google Ads is no option, the most people doesn't visit the website, they just use BBLog on Battlelog. So there be no income.
The only way to keep all current features is a sponsored Root Server for BBLog.

For all those really want to donate for BBLog, just contact me via private message.

Sorry for that people but there is no other way anymore to handle this massive user interest.
that are bad news :-/

renting a space for a server banner is one option, to support brain...
http://getbblog.com/en/game-server
Post edited 1 x times, last by
Bad news indeed... and what about a "freemium" version of BBlog ?
Free basic BBlog add'on (without some features) and paid version (with image upload, pdf generator...)

Daily User Peak is over 4000 People Online...if 20% of these will paid 1€ for year for an Extended BBlog, it will be great ?!
Topicstarter
No. BBLog will be ever free.
Topicstarter
Ah and one note:
There not only 4000 BBLog User's, there 4000 Online at the same time.
Sum of people that have BBLog is round about 100.000 to 200.000
I think PDF service might be restarted on battlelogger and platoon imgs... dunno, its nice but if its making the service unstable, there is no other way :)
I can offer some ressource for BBLog. I'm using it for some other projects too, but there should be enough performance to balance to load between some servers.

3,4 GHz x 2 (HT)
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD x 2 (RAID1)
Topicstarter
Patschi wrote:

3,4 GHz x 2 (HT)

Thats what i currently have and that's one of the bottlenecks.
Thx for the offer but a "shared" root or balancing over multiple servers isn't helpful in this case.
BrainFooLong wrote:
Ah and one note:

It was just an example... It's great that you want to keep BBlog free but servers are not free... I think some people would keep all services
Topicstarter
juress wrote:
I think PDF service might be restarted on battlelogger and platoon imgs... dunno, its nice but if its making the service unstable, there is no other way :)

Platoon Upload is the first thing i remove. It's the thing with the most impact on the server load.
Topicstarter
Amkhatar wrote:
BrainFooLong wrote:
Ah and one note:

It was just an example... It's great that you want to keep BBlog free but servers are not free... I think some people would keep all services

Well thats true, but especially the platoon upload feature makes absolutely no sense to limit it to a hand of user's.
Would be awesome if DICE and/or EA would sponsor us :)
We all know that isn't going to happen in a million years, mostly because generosity isn't the first thing that comes to mind when EA is running the show, but it would be awesome if they did.
BrainFooLong wrote:
Platoon Upload is the first thing i remove. It's the thing with the most impact on the server load.

i think same way. and PDF Generator is used by many people and helpful for people without Premium.
Why do you don't add a donation clock or goal to the website. BBlog is an awesome feature and I would be glad to help out. Unfortunately I can't spare much, but already small donations can effect a lot.

I mean, just 240 persons have to think like me and spend 1 Euro to get you to the 600 Euro you mentioned. And I am pretty sure that more people would like to support the service you are offering for free, so that even your own costs about 360 Euro per year would be maybe lowered.
Topicstarter
I'm no fan of donations.
But i'll think about it.

I'm not sure what's better for me at the moment. Ask for donations (that what i ever had blocked) or remove some hard server features.
Post edited 2 x times, last by
I'm not one for donation buttons either, but if some site has one and it's just there, I wouldn't mind it.
It's until they start saying things like: If you want to help us, donate whatever you want, every bit helps.

That's when I start to protest against donation options. It should just be there for users to spare some money if THEY choose to, and not because the site promotes the option to do so and makes them out to be special/better if they do.
BrainFooLong wrote:
I'm no fan of donations.
But i'll think about it.

I'm not sure what's better for me at the moment. Ask for donations (that what i ever had blocked) or remove some hard server features.

I do understand that. But a donation is made by choice (at least in my definition), it's not forced and you can be sure that the donator just want to to express his gratitude for the work all you have done.
It is very sad if you shut down some features of BBLog. The first thing that came in my mind was this:

http://www.abload.de/img/suatmm1kfooz.jpg

I really would like to help!
Just post a Paypal email address and I'll send you $50 right away to get you started.
Topicstarter
ocknoz wrote:
Just post a Paypal email address and I'll send you $50 right away to get you started.

Thx for the offer.
For all those really want to donate for BBLog, just contact me via private message.
Maybe a lot of people would help with a donation.. it could be easiest for them if you install a paypal button ?!
Topicstarter
As most of people here don't feel bothered by a donation button and i also would try it out, i have installed a small button in the top navigation for paypal donations.

Thank you for all that want support BBLog. Every little help is welcome.
BrainFooLong wrote:
Patschi wrote:

3,4 GHz x 2 (HT)

Thats what i currently have and that's one of the bottlenecks.
Thx for the offer but a "shared" root or balancing over multiple servers isn't helpful in this case.

Why not? Instead of downloading all files from one server you could download some from a second one. For example with the Battlereports: Instead that your server makes the work, a other one can do it - More functions and your server must do it.

CDN like amazonaws would be solution too - but not free - would save you many traffic and serves the files much faster. You could finance it with the help of some donations :)

Two servers would be better I think: So you only have the same costs like before and you don't need to think about to pay more, when the next month comes less donations.

Just an idea - It's up to you :)
Topicstarter
No option to have 2 servers.
Any solution cost me more money which i don't want to pay for.
Topicstarter
Some good news in this case...
I've found a sponsor that give me a much more powerful root server.
That means that features not must be deleted, if everything will work fine with our sponsor.
I'll keep you up2date about it.
:D That's good to hear. I hope it will work out, also looking forward to hearing who the sponsor is.
Found a sponsor?
Hosters.at?
Topicstarter
Yep, i'll write a forum post about this, today or tomorrow.
New Server is now online and works great.
Great!!