Dog tag progress bar - Better Battlelog Forums #79786

Sitemap
Post edited 1 x times, last by
Topicstarter
Hi,

Like many god tag hunters, I like to see my progress for dog tags I plan to unlock.

Is it possible to include a progress bar under locked (and unlockable) dog tags? Something like this:
http://www.bf3log.com/en/pc/Stats/TomLeMort#dogtags

Thanks!
TomLeMort wrote:
Hi,

Like many god tag hunters, I like to see my progress for dog tags I plan to unlock.

Is it possible to include a progress bar under locked (and unlockable) dog tags? Something like this:
http://www.bf3log.com/en/pc/Stats/TomLeMort#dogtags

Thanks!

Hm, that would murder the servers I think :)
This page you posted already have exactly that what you want.
It's a huge job to do that and if it already exist than it makes not much sense to rebuild the same thing.
Also as juress said, this will produce a lot of server traffic.
Rejected.
Topicstarter
I wonder how it could kill the server. You basically need the weapons and awards stats, that you retrieve for these pages anyway. It only requires one simple formula for each concerned dog tag. It would not be more work that what was already done for rewards.

And I don't get the idea of “you already have it somewhere else”. In that case there are already a lot of stats pages, you don't need to do anything at all… The idea of this plugin if I understood well is to have a great tool that merge the most interesting/useful stats in one place (battlelog).

Anyway, it's your plugin so your choice. But don't tell me it's too much work and too much server traffic. This is wrong.
Think about it, every time you access dog tag page - a list of all of your locked dogtags would be generated (hundreds in average). Than for every single one of your locked dogtags you would have to send a request to the battlelog servers in order to check the progress on that. That is an insane amount of data and requests...

And then you have thousands of ppl checking their dogtag page...

BBLog is being developed in a way, that doesen't require too many requests from Battlelog servers and this feature would be against it.
But don't tell me it's too much work...

Well, make a plugin that does this in your free time and than we can talk about this again.
I have an idea, on page load only first five or three dogtags closest to unlock will be shown, and if user will click the button next five (or three) will be displayed etc. Because I think, that most users only want to see few dogtags closest to unlock. I can try to make this plugin.
what should that help?
everybody knows that for a master dogtag you need 500 kills!
This dogtag progress bar is absolutely unneeded!
Oh, they don't have an API. Too bad.
Topicstarter
juress wrote:
Think about it, every time you access dog tag page - a list of all of your locked dogtags would be generated (hundreds in average). Than for every single one of your locked dogtags you would have to send a request to the battlelog servers in order to check the progress on that. That is an insane amount of data and requests...

Sure if you do one request per dogtag you will burn the servers. But there is no need to make one request per dogtag. You only need to get the user's stats once and work with this. You can even use cached data. Nothing more than how other additional stats a probably coded.
TomLeMort wrote:
juress wrote:

Sure if you do one request per dogtag you will burn the servers. But there is no need to make one request per dogtag. You only need to get the user's stats once and work with this. You can even use cached data. Nothing more than how other additional stats a probably coded.

That is still a lot of data, why do you think BF3stats.com has a queue system for this?
TomLeMort wrote:
You only need to get the user's stats once and work with this. You can even use cached data. Nothing more than how other additional stats a probably coded.

Well... and than? than you have to calculate the data for EVERY SINGLE dogtag to can generate the progress bar. you save nothing, except that you will request more data than needed because not all available data are needed for the dogtag progress bar. and about the cache... you will create traffic for checking if you data are still up to date or not, again more traffic because your data will change after each game. once for the checking for updates, and secound for updating your cached data.

pls make me an exaple, for which dogtag do you want to have a progress bar...
Topicstarter
juress wrote:
That is still a lot of data, why do you think BF3stats.com has a queue system for this?

This is where the cache is useful.

ORFK wrote:
Well... and than? than you have to calculate the data for EVERY SINGLE dogtag to can generate the progress bar.

And what? There is almost nothing to do, except checking something like “sks_kills < 500” or “support_score < 2000000”. It is done on client side, so no problem on server side. And even a crap programming language such as javascript can handle this for thousands of dog tags without any problem.

Again I don't blame you because you decided to not do it. It is your thing. But I cannot figure out what is more difficult/terrible for server than additional stats on the weapon page (for EVERY weapon! <= wow).

And I don't get the idea of a cache that creates more traffic. The point of cache is to reduce it actually… It is not critical if the stats are not updated after each game, but only say upon request.

By the way appart this stats things, it can be useful to reorder dog tags, and pack them by type:
- ranks
- weapon types
- vehicule types (tier 1 & 2)
- game types
- kit type
- squad (repair, ressuply, …)
- weapons (tier 1 & 2)
- equipment (tier 1 & 2)
- missions
- promotions (alienware, dr. pepper, etc.)
- community challenges
- misc meddals (MVP, nemesis, avenger, …)
- misc (Dice, …)

Except for misc they all depend on a particular stat. Two examples above.